Our goal is to have your healing be as comfortable and smooth as possible. Proper home care is very important. Here are some general instructions to follow while you are healing. If you have any difficulties or concerns after your surgery, please do not hesitate to call or return to the office for follow-up.
Our office phone is 425.369.1533. If it is after hours, there is an emergency number on the answering machine.
Details Post-Operative instructions will be provided at your consultation. You may use the notations and pdfs below to refer back to if you lose your instructions papers.
- DO NOT sleep with the gauze sponge in your mouth.
- Most stitches will dissolve in 7-10 days.
- Graft sites for non-wisdom teeth areas may have sutures up to 3 weeks.
- DO NOT use a straw for the first 2 weeks after surgery and avoid rice and brittle, crunchy or chewy foods for several days.
- If you are having a graft procedure completed, you must be on a soft to liquid diet for 7 – 10 days, and then soft foods for another 3 weeks, eating on the opposite side of the graft site.
- If you are having sedation for your procedure, you cannot drive for 24 hours following surgery and need to have a friend or family bring you and to and from the appointment.
- Swelling may last 7-10 days...we recommend applying an ice pack to the side of your surgery for 48hours after surgery. The more the ice is applied, the less swelling will develop. After 48 hours you can use a heat pack if needed.
- The skin in the area of the surgery may become yellow, black and blue. This will gradually disappear within 10 – 21 days and requires no treatment.
- Some oozing of blood is to be expected for about the first 24 hours.
- You should not smoke for 5-7 days after surgery. One cigarette may dramatically increase your pain and slow the healing.
· A slight elevation of temperature may occur during the first 48 hours after surgery
· Discoloration of the blood clot, unpleasant breath odor, or “bad taste” in the mouth is usually normal
The office should be called for any of the following:
- Profuse, uncontrollable bleeding
- Severe, uncontrollable pain
- Swelling which begins after the first 48 hours following surgery
- A markedly elevated temperature
- Any generalized itching or skin eruption (i.e. hives)
- Any situation which is not covered by these instructions or which you feel should be brought to our attention
Post-Op Instructions NO GRAFT.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [182.4 KB]
Post-Op Instructions GRAFT Patient.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [202.8 KB]
Post-Op Instructions Wisdom Teeth.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [183.9 KB]
Post-Op Instructions Wisdom Teeth with G[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [182.3 KB]
Post-Op Instructions- Biopsy patients.pd[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [192.3 KB]